Minibus Driver Awareness Scheme

MiDAS is the Minibus Driver Awareness Scheme, which has been enhancing the safety and care of passengers for nearly 30 years. The scheme provides a nationally recognised standard for the assessment and training of drivers and passenger assistants to ensure that they have the skills and knowledge to provide safe, legal and comfortable journeys to all passengers.

Schemes available under the MiDAS umbrella:

  • Minibus Drivers
  • Car and MPV Drivers
  • Passenger Assistants

All organisations undertaking MiDAS need to be registered. This ensures that we can keep accurate certificate records and helps to maintain MiDAS as a nationally recognised scheme. MiDAS registration is free of charge and is different from applying to be a CTA member.

Training Courses

 Explore the list of courses we facilitate and choose one that aligns with your goals. Get ready to embark on a journey towards personal and professional growth. 

MiDAS Driver Standard & Refresher

Suitable for anyone who is required to drive a minibus as part of their role. That might be a volunteer who drives occasionally for a local community group or a paid driver working full time. From 2nd January 2024, drivers requiring a Standard Refresher course will be completing the new MiDAS Standard course in full.

MiDAS Driver Accessible

Suitable for drivers who will be responsible for transporting disabled passengers.

Passenger Assistant

For those whose role it is to provide care and assistance to passengers travelling on the road.

Car and MPV

For organisations operating smaller vehicles, or voluntary car schemes.

Who can drive a Minibus

Brackley Bus

You might be able to drive a minibus if you hold a car driving licence and meet certain conditions – otherwise you’ll need to apply for a minibus licence.

You might be able to drive a minibus with up to 16 passenger seats using your current car driving licence as long as there’s no payment from or on behalf of the passengers (it’s not for ‘hire or reward’).


Conditions you must meet

You can drive a minibus within the UK as long as the following conditions apply:

  • you’re 21 or older
  • you’ve had your driving licence for at least 2 years
  • you meet the ‘Group 2’ medical standards if you’re over 70 – check with your GP if you’re not sure you meet the standards
  • you’re driving on a voluntary basis and the minibus is used for social purposes by a non-commercial body
  • the ‘maximum authorised mass’ or MAM of the minibus is not more than 3.5 tonnes – plus up to 750kg of equipment for disabled passengers, for example a wheelchair ramp
  • you’re not towing a trailer
View your driving licence information provides a service to check someone’s driving licence information, for example, vehicles they can drive or any penalty points or disqualifications. To use the service, we will need permission from the license holder, which can be given via a check code.

Completing a MiDAS assessment does not give a driver an additional legal entitlement on their driving license. MiDAS is a good practice scheme which allows drivers who already have the legal requirement on their driving license an opportunity to be assessed to drive a minibus to a national standard.

Driving a minibus abroad

You might be able to drive a minibus abroad. Contact the licencing authority in the country you’re visiting for more information.

Renew your driving licence if you’re 70 or over

If you’re 70 or over (or soon will be) and are renewing your driving licence, you need to:

  • order a D2 application form
  • download a D4 medical examination report – Any Doctor who holds full registration with the GMC (General Medical Council) and is licensed to practise medicine in the UK, can complete the DVLA D4 Driver Medical. This can be your primary care physician or a private firm such as D4Drivers, whose doctors specialise in D4 medicals.

If received your driving licence after 1 January 1997, you’ll need to apply for a minibus licence.

Minibus permit - if you need to charge running costs

You can apply for a minibus permit if you need to charge passengers, as long as:

  • the vehicle can carry between 9 and 16 passengers
  • you’re driving it for a voluntary organisation that benefits the community – for example an educational, religious or sports organisation
  • the minibus service is only available for members of that organisation – not to the general public
  • any charges are to cover running costs and are not for profit

You can apply for a minibus permit from the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA).

The driver must be 21 or older.

Driving a minibus for profit

If you want to drive a minibus commercially, or if the above conditions don’t apply, you’ll need to apply for both a:

Training Location

The ABILITY Training Centre is located and hosted at Caswell Business Park, Northamptonshire. Our training centre offers free secure parking; an onsite restaurant serving hot and cold food; and a breakroom including pool table. We can also offer work space for those awaiting their assessment time slot.

Address: Grafton Suite, Caswell Science Park, Towcester, Northants, NN12 8EQ 

Should it be more convenient for the trainees and you can offer a suitable training space; we’d be happy to faciltate the training at your premises. We do request that time is given free of interruption and that you cover all expenses incurred i.e. travel and accommodation.

The Training Team

If you can’t find the information you are looking for online or need clarification you can contact the training team directly via email or phone. We aim to response within 24 hours.

You may contact us via social media. These messages are not sent to the directly to the Training Team and it may take us longer to reply.

Should you require any assistance please do not hesitate to ask, we are happy to help.